9.26.2014

Get up and walk out

I thought of an analogy the other day that depicts how I live my life sometimes. 

Like a prisoner sentenced to the death penalty sitting in her cell and suddenly the shackles fall off her arms and legs and the door swings wide open. She is free to go. She notices what has happened and she is so grateful. She runs out of the cell and ventures off into the free world, but she always comes back to that cell. She's comfortable there. It's easier there, and so she visits often and sometimes stays for a while.

I can do this in my life. My death penalty has been canceled, the shackles on my heart have been broken, and the door to Christ is wide open. But I still keep holding on to my sin because it's comfortable and it's sometimes so much easier. I have freedom in Christ. I have the Holy Spirit living inside of me!!!!!!! And yet I still choose sin so often. When I spell it out like this it sounds absurd.

Galatians 5:1
"It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery."

Galatians 5:16-17
"So I say, live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature. For the sinful nature desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the sinful nature. They are in conflict with each other, so that you do not do what you want."
  
Romans 6:11
 "In the same way, count yourselves dead to sin but alive to God in Christ Jesus."

I am no longer a prisoner. I am free in Christ! 
Father, help me to live like a child of yours, rather than a slave to sin.

No comments:

Post a Comment